Monday, October 5, 2009

"I don't care"

Well, I have the flu.  Swine flu, common flu, whatever it is I have it.  Feeling pretty miserable, headaches, body aches, can't stop blowing my nose, the whole bit and caboodle. 

I try to lie down and sleep but can't.  I keep running over these conversations in my head; I can rest but not sleep.  So here are some of my thoughts while under the influence of the flu.


I keep coming back to my parents.

Every time I show them something or point out something I find odd, I keep expecting them to come back with a common sense explanation.  They don't, they never do.  It doesn't matter what or how glaring it is, their explanation is always "well he/she is stupid" or "they made a mistake" or "I don't care."  One of these three answers is how they explain everything I point out to them.  They get quite excited and animated with the "I don't care" answer. "I have more important things to think about"  things like tiling, toilet, tea and tulips (tulips being gardening.)

They adamantly refuse to look at anything and come up with a common sense answer.  I can't say they have lost their capability to apply common sense, they just refuse to apply it.  If a common sense answer questions their values or beliefs they put up a mental wall and will only say "stupid" "mistake" or "I don't care"

Personally I find it extraordinary.  My parents are both extremely intelligent and successful, have had a concern and interest in the world around them for as long as I can remember, but when it comes to something that questions their beliefs they shut down.  They can't believe that a simple common sense answer makes the most sense, nor will they ever admit it.

Part of me believes they don't care and part of me doesn't want to.  Michael Tsarion in "Architects of Control" said don't think you have to save people.  You can't.  They have to come to a realization themselves and on their own.

Michael gets pretty deep, but a much, much simpler communicator is Glenn Beck.  Glenn has two books out, "Common Sense" and "Arguing with Idiots."  Glenn is saying the same thing Michael is, in as plain and simple language as possible in a valiant and admirable effort to get through to people.  

You can't argue with people who refuse to use common sense.


Found this clip that I think explains why my parents and others refuse to use common sense


How To Brainwash A Nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment